At last! Fresh Greens!!

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

At last! Fresh Greens!!

Post by ChrisGreaves »

20240429_115542.jpg
I was out and about this morning in the Back Forty, inspecting the impact of this mornings rain on yesterday's trials of the Rototiller machine when my eyes and forward motion were arrested by what you see in the image above.

I quickly dashed inside for a camera, then just as quickly dashed back inside for a small bowl and a sharp knife ...
20240429_120005.jpg
... and quicker'n blink had this years FIRST FRESH Garden Salad.
No more of those $7.49 clumps of celery whose strings are still lodged in my teeth long after I've turned out the light.

These would-be leaves are so new that the snails and slugs have not found them.
:munch: Time for lunch. :yum:
Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He who plants a seed, plants life.

StuartR
Administrator

Re: At last! Fresh Greens!!

Post by StuartR »

Bon appetite
StuartR

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Looks like dandelion? Definitely full of nutrition! I think all of ours are blooming already and that makes them bitter. :sad:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
29 Apr 2024, 14:42
... and quicker'n blink had this years FIRST FRESH Garden Salad.
I'm sure it has been said (many times) before, but surely your salad days are long since over?! :evilgrin: :fanfare: :grin:
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Skitterbug wrote:
01 May 2024, 19:22
Looks like dandelion? Definitely full of nutrition! I think all of ours are blooming already and that makes them bitter. :sad:
:yep: dandelions. When we have a break in the rain I will post a photo of the "central bud" which I don't recall seeing before.
I hadn't noticed any bitterness late in the season, but then, I take sweet delight in NOT paying $7 for a lettuce down at the grocery store.
Cheers Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:
02 May 2024, 06:52
I'm sure it has been said (many times) before, but surely your salad days are long since over?! :evilgrin: :fanfare: :grin:
John, when you are my age you toss the grocery store receipt into the salad, just to increase roughage!
Now, I want YOU to turn over a new leaf ... :flee:
Cheers, Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

20240510_103400.jpg
This is a closeup shot of one of the three plants I cut from the ground level this morning; this sample is now laid out on a kitchen counter.

Note the three large and obvious buds nestled in the centre of the plant. These buds have stalks which we can consider to be zero-length for now, but adjacent plants have bud-stalks of over an inch.

I had not noticed (in my five years of harvesting dandelions) the buds already set IN the plant, albeit the buds and leaves are spread out at ground-level.

My long-term reasoning has been that the dandelion seeds, 2mm brown capsules, contain enough food/energy for the seed to survive a further eleven months drifting and encased in the ground. A dandelion clock therefore contains hundreds of such quanta of energy. The flower is the factory that churns out the seeds/clock, so the day before the clock forms, the flower head/factory must be full of nourishment.

I could be wrong.

Now I wondering how much protein/DNA/etc. might be present in these two-day-old buds.
Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.