More Migration Issues

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
BobH
UraniumLounger

More Migration Issues

Post by BobH »

About 6 weeks ago I switched from cable ISP service to wireless (T-Mobile cellular) ISP service. This past week I've had to move to a new laptop due to the demise of my very old HP laptop. Since the switch I've been unable to get my Brother HL-2270DW printer and several wifi outlet plugs back in service.

Is there any way to 'see' what wifi devices with electrical power exist in my environment?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: More Migration Issues

Post by JoeP »

To see what's connected to your T-Mobile device use the T-Mobile Home Internet phone app. You can also use a tool such as Nirsoft's Wireless network watcher.
Joe

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Joe.

I'll look into that Nirsoft app. What I'm trying to do is to determine what devices there are that are emitting wifi signals that are not connected to my system. I will then attempt to connect each valid one, in turn.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

With the WNW app, you may need to set the IP address range to scan in the advanced options.
Joe

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, again, Joe.

I had trouble when I first tried to use it getting it installed. When I got past my feeble brain issues with the warning that Nirsoft is an unknown publisher to Windows11, I was able to finish the installation and run it with these results:
Screenshot 2024-03-30 121422.png
Now, where can I find a good MAC address interpreter?

One of the devices I was hoping to see is my Brother printer. It it's in the list, I don't recognize it. IIRC, IP addresses do not specifically identify devices but identify how they are addressed by the os and are dynamically assigned, which means that they might be different from time to time. Is that correct?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

You can try using either of these tools: DNSchecker MAC lookup or Wireshark MAC lookup. If you prefer an app NirSoft has MAC address lookup. You'll need to have the complete MAC addres. That column needs to be made wider in WNW to see it all.

And, yes IP addresses assigned dynamically can change but seldom do on home networks.
Joe

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks again, Joe!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

That's great information. Thanks, again, Joe!!!
MAC Addresses.png
After reviewing the results I found that some of the MAC addresses I submitted weren't there. I tried again with the box checked to show Not Found in results and got this.
MAC Addresses 2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

jolas
3StarLounger

Post by jolas »

Use BrAdminLight to find Brother printers on your network

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

You can try the websites to see if they can find the ones the app won't.
Joe