Bitlocker turned on but I was not prompted to create a password

jmt356
SilverLounger

Bitlocker turned on but I was not prompted to create a password

Post by jmt356 »

I recently set up a new laptop. When I went to enable Bitlocker on the hard drive, I found it was already turned on on the C: drive. However, I was not given an opportunity to input a decryption password. How can I be sure that Bitlocker is really working?
Regards,

JMT

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Re: Bitlocker turned on but I was not prompted to create a password

Post by Rebel »

John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

The decryption key is generated automatically. You should save a copy of it in a secure location. If you use a Microsoft account you can save it there. You can also print it. You may also save it to a file that would be accessible if your PC asks for the key.
Joe

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I find the Bitlocker setup to generate vulnerability. If a thief steals a computer and gets a hold of the user's Windows password and logs in, Bitlocker will offer no protection and the thief will gain access to all of the user's data. In the old system, where Bitlocker required the user to enter a password, an extra layer of protection was added. The only way that a thief could access the user's data is if he stole the computer and had access to both the Windows password and the BitLocker password.
Regards,

JMT

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I think you can not use a password on the operating system drive. Besides, the first rule of security is that you must maintain physical control of the computer.
Joe

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Without bitlocker someone who got your computer could read all your data without needing to know your password, so it does have some benefit
StuartR

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

If someone got a hold of my computer, then they would need my Windows password to get to my data, regardless of whether Bitlocker was turned on. If they got my Windows password, BitLocker would offer no protection because the decryption key is generated automatically.

The only protection that BitLocker would offer if a thief got my computer is it would block access if the thief tried to read the contents of the hard drive from another computer.

A superior way to protect a computer is to require one password for BitLocker and another for Windows. That ensures that a thief who accesses a computer and learns of the computer's Windows password or pin still would not be able to access the data.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If someone steals your computer, they can remove the hard disk and place it in another computer.
Without Bitlocker they can then view and open all files.
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If you are concerned about data security move the data to a separate Drive/partition. Then use Bitlocker on that drive/partition and assign a password to it.

Remember, if you lose physical control of your device you have no security.
Joe