Word2003: Set "NoProofing" from spelling dialogue box?

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Word2003: Set "NoProofing" from spelling dialogue box?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Untitled3.png
Here I am, minding my own business in WORD2003, spell-checking a daily diary document and for the twenty-sixth(grin) time this month another error pops up.

I rather think that this old dialogue box would have been improved if it had included a command button to "Set Language to No Proofing", which I would swear used to appear when I scrolled through the list in Tools, Options, Language, but now does not appear.

That Tools, Options, Language dialogue does contain a check-box "Do not check spelling or grammar".

The scroll list shown above is, I suspect, generated by virtue of me choosing English, Spanish and French as regular languages a long time ago.

Just curious: Does any later version of MSWord include the option to "set mis-spelled string to No Proofing"? There is the Ignore All command button in my screenshot above, but tomorrow morning at this time I will be re-prompted for this error.

Thanks, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By definition, educating the client is the consultant’s first objective

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Re: Word2003: Set "NoProofing" from spelling dialogue box?

Post by Charles Kenyon »

If you click on the language in the Status Bar, you can check No Proofing in the resulting dialog box.
See also my article on creating no proofing styles.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mso ... 55e8d636cc

In direct answer to your question: no version of Word has an option to set No Proofing for text caught by the spell checker.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Charles Kenyon wrote:
26 Jul 2023, 12:08
See also my article on creating no proofing styles.
Thank you Charles. That article reminded me that I had created a cdNoProofing character style way back when. I checked, and yes, it is there.
Of course Word2003 Spell-check dialogue does not provide an opportunity to assign a style,
In direct answer to your question: no version of Word has an option to set No Proofing for text caught by the spell checker.
Thank you for this confirmation.

Prior to posting I ran a search and found Spell-check, Language (Word 2000) a brave little topic from thirteen years ago.
I never did get back to IanWilson ("No doubt you'll share it with the rest of us if you do.") but FWIW I did write "SPELL The Pre-Emptive Spell-Checker". A primitive UserGuide can be downloaded from http://www.chrisgreaves.com/Downloads/UserGuide.zip.
I remember that it had a means of storing the path with each dictionary entry, so that a term related only to VBA would be acceptable without question in documents in the tree T:\Greaves\Products, but questioned anywhere else, and a document with "Bonavista" would be accepted without question within the tree T:\Pers\People\Chris, so that terms and phrases could be selectively ignored.
Cheers, Chris

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

The advantage of a no-proofing style is that it works on any computer without any Add-Ins needed. This is unlike marking it for Ignore All or saving it in the [local] Custom Dictionary.
A custom style can be applied using a keyboard shortcut, even if not from the spell-check dialog.

The macros in my article on proofing language could well be modified to remove the "do not check" attribute from text and styles.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mso ... 535d3ec15b

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Charles Kenyon wrote:
26 Jul 2023, 19:25
A custom style can be applied using a keyboard shortcut, even if not from the spell-check dialog.
Thank you Charles. A souped-up dialog box is what I wanted. I went a bit overboard and made two (grin)
Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

Interesting!
Do you call that with the intercept of the ToolsProofing command?
Some of these are designed to change the Options, others seem specific to the target word.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Charles Kenyon wrote:
27 Jul 2023, 12:33
Do you call that with the intercept of the ToolsProofing command?
Charles, I wasn't smart enough then to think of that :sad:
Some of these are designed to change the Options, others seem specific to the target word.
The Options GUI sets the operating environment, while the Solicit Rule GUI is an interactive method of dealing with a mis-spelled word in real-time.

As an example, instead of tapping the <F7> key to check spelling, I ran the macro which worked its way through a document making corrections autonomously based on previously established rules. If the document was within the folder tree of T:\Greaves\Products\Users\ and it came across the VBA word "ActiveWindow", the rule might say that "ActiveWindow" is an OK word as long as it is within the tree T:\Greaves\Products\ (hence T:\Greaves\Products\Users or T:\Greaves\Products\Devel\) and just allow the word as is. But if "ActiveWindow" appeared in a document within the folder tree T:\Pers\People\JoyKogawa\ then user-intervention was required (Joy Kogawa has no interest in VBA). A document within the tree T:\Pers\People\BobHutchins\ might have the rule set to allow "ActiveWindow".

On a good day I could write a new document of half a dozen pages and The Beast would check and correct everything automatically based on is existing rules.

This kind of process was good too for checking a batch of documents. I think I could tell it "run in batch mode" to fix 80% of errors, then rerun it for the essential interactive corrections. Saved me some time.

Cheers, Chris