Another Transition Question

BobH
UraniumLounger

Another Transition Question

Post by BobH »

For the first time since losing use of my old laptop, I went looking for some files stored in the Documents folder on the old HDD. The folder is not to be found. Presumably, this is because that is a standard Windows folder and is supplanted by the one supplied by Win 11 system on the new laptop.

Is there any way to find those files on the HDD that is installed in a USB-attached enclosure with files otherwise available to the Win 11 system?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Another Transition Question

Post by stuck »

On the old HDD, look for the \users folder. The Documents folder is a subfolder under \users\[your user name].

Ken

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

If you don't find the folder C:\Users\[your user name]\Documents or it's empty, or contains only some of the files you expected, there's another possibility.

If you had OneDrive installed on the old PC, look for the folder C:\Users\[your user name]\OneDrive\Documents. That's Microsoft's way of trying to synchronize all of your stuff with the cloud.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Gentlemen!

Found the folder and the files. I try not to use cloud storage. I've forced to with my iPhone because of the number of images. They take up more storage than I have on my phone.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs